9 Things You Won't See in Our Parks Today
From mowing the meadows with camels to swan boating in our lakes, take a look back at how different life was at our parks in the 18th,19th and 20th centuries.
1. Wright Brothers' flyers over City Hall
City Hall Park, 1913.
2. Sheep in Sheep Meadow
Sheep Meadow, Central Park, 1930.
3. Camels in Sheep Meadow
Camel Mowing in Sheep Meadow, Central Park, 1869.
4. Chalk-drawing contests at Washington Square Park
Washington Square Park, 1966.
5. The Casino in Central Park
The Central Park Casino, 1935.
6. Ice skating races
72nd Street Lake, Central Park, 1928.
7. A swing house at Seward Park Playground
Seward Park Playground, 1934.
8. Lawn Tennis in Prospect Park
Long Meadow, Prospect Park, 1885.
9. Swan boats in Central Park
Gapstow Bridge at The Pond, Central Park, 1910.