Bronx Park & 219th Street
Sunrise to Sunset (April 1 to December 1)
- Swimming, diving, or bathing
- Rafts or other inflatables
- Consumption of alcohol
- Any discharge into water
- Pets off leash or in the water
- Open flame
- Storing personal property
- Motor vehicles without specific authorization
Site Fee: No
ADA Accessible: No
Rest Area: No
Portage: 150 feet
Bronx River Parkway to Gun Hill Rd. exit. Turn east towards Bronx Boulevard, then left onto Olinville Avenue (before gas station), then bear left on to East 211th Street. Bear right onto Bronx Boulevard (half of street becomes a promenade) — follow north to East 219th Street.
By Mass Transit
Subway: 2 Train to 219th Street at White Plains Road. Walk west (toward Carpenter Avenue) to Bronx Boulevard
Bus: Bx41 to White Plains Road and East 219th Street. Walk west (toward Carpenter Avenue) to Bronx Boulevard
Metro-North: Harlem Line to Williams Bridge Station. Exit the station and walk east on Gun Hill Road, and then left onto Olinville Avenue. Walk north. Bear left onto 211th Street, and then turn right on Bronx Boulevard. Walk along the promenade or greenway and follow to Olinville Playground (219th Street).
Nearby Points of Interest: The Bronx River Forest, one of the last older growth forests remaining in NYC, NY Botanical Garden, Bronx Zoo.
At 219th Street: Small access pier available for launch. Water may be quite shallow but still navigable, particularly in flatter bottomed boats. Boats with deep keels will get scraped on rocks in shallow conditions (especially during the summer). At 211th Street, a small impoundment has created a shallow, rocky line across the river. Boats can most easily pass on the far right through a small opening between the rocks and the west bank. Farther down the river, there are several dams to portage: The northernmost dam in the Botanical Garden is sign posted, but the two at the north and south ends of the Bronx Zoo are unmarked so use caution. Check with the Bronx River Alliance for details.
Emergency Landing Points
This is an urban river trail, so there are many points that could be used as emergency landing points. Some of the most convenient are:
- Gunhill Road at “Fort Knox” Park - ¾ miles from launch
- Bronx River Forest – 1 mile from launch (landing points at various places)
- New York Botanical Garden portage point – 1.5-2 miles from launch
- Bronx Zoo at the Mitsubishi Riverwalk/ Overflow Parking lot on the east bank, just south of Fordham Road and just north of the dam/portage – 2-2.5 miles from launch.
- 182nd Street/ River park portage point – three miles from launch
- Drew Gardens – 3.25 miles from launch
- 174th Street Bridge – 3.75-4 miles from launch
- Concrete Plant Park (under construction but launch point is visible)
- ABC Carpet pier (across from Concrete Plant Park)
- Hunts Point Riverside Park – six miles from launch
Our Lady of Mercy – 600 East 233rd Street (718-920-9000/ 9177)