Alice Austen House/Buono Beach
Hylan Boulevard & Edgewater Street
Sunrise to Sunset (April 1 to December 1)
- Swimming, diving, or bathing
- Rafts or other inflatables
- Consumption of alcohol
- Any discharge into water
- Pets off leash or in the water
- Open flame
- Storing personal property
- Motor vehicles without specific authorization
Site Fee: No
ADA Accessible: No
Rest Area: Yes
Parking: Yes, Public Parking (Street)
Portage: 400 feet
Hylan Boulevard to Edgewater Street
By Mass Transit
By Mass Transit: Staten Island Ferry to S51 bus
• Points of Interest: Alice Austen House Park, Gateway National Recreation Area, and the Staten Island Homeport. Views of Verrazano Bridge, Brooklyn’s Bay Ridge, views of Staten Island’s twelve miles of beaches. The Raritan Bay, below the Verrazano Bridge, has several historical lighthouses that can be best viewed from the waters of Raritan Bay via launch from Alice Austen House Park.
• Typical Day Paddle: Launch and paddle through the Narrows, under the Verrazano Bridge, paddle around Hoffman Island (wildlife sanctuary), and Swinburne Island to Midland Beach for lunch and travel back again with the change of tide. This is about a seven to eight mile round trip.
Hazardous Launch/Landing Conditions
Gas pipeline to the West. The usually sandy beach is very rocky at low tide. Care must be taken when launching and landing boats during this time.
Currents can be very strong as you travel out further into the Narrows waterway but are not as noticeable close to shore.
Emergency Landing Points
Anywhere along the shore line, Fort Wadsworth Beach, South Beach.
Staten Island University Hospital [North Site: 475 Seaview Avenue- (718) 226-9000, South Site: 375 Seguine Avenue – (718) 226-2000], Bayley Seton Hospital- 2 miles