Clason Point Park
Foot of Soundview Avenue & East River
Sunrise to Sunset (April 1 to December 1)
A concrete ramp provides access to marshes of Pugsley Creek, the East River, the Hutchinson River Drainage, and Long Island Sound. Portage is 150 feet.
Caution: Strong currents in the East River, heavy commercial traffic, and lots of broken glass in Launch Area.
- Swimming, diving, or bathing
- Rafts or other inflatables
- Consumption of alcohol
- Any discharge into water
- Pets off leash or in the water
- Open flame
- Storing personal property
- Motor vehicles without specific authorization
Site Fee: None
ADA Accessible: No
Rest Area: Yes
Portage: 150 feet
- Go to most southern exit (#1) on Bronx River Parkway.
- At the exit turn left onto Story Avenue and travel east two blocks to Soundview Avenue.
- Travel around 15 blocks on Soundview till you get to the Clason Point Park entrance.
Note: Soundview loses its name to White Plains Road between O’Brien Avenue and Gilderslieve Avenue. South of Gilderslieve they separate. Turn left to Soundview.
By Mass Transit
- Take 6 train to Morrison Avenue/ Soundview Avenue. Transfer to the #27 bus. Take the bus to the circle just at the park entrance (17 minute bus ride)
- Take 6 train to 177th Street/ Parkchester Avenue. Transfer to #39 bus. Then take the #39 bus to the circle just outside the park entrance.
Nearby Points of Interest: The Whitestone and Throgs Neck Bridges, the entrance to the Bronx River, the entrance to the Hutchinson River, Rikers Island, Brother Islands, City Islands, The North Shore of Long Island, LaGuardia Airport, and Hell Gate.
- Launch at Pugsley and travel to City Island for lunch. Then return. 5 miles each way.
- Launch at Pugsley and travel to Manhasset on the Long Island North Shore for lunch at DiMaggio’s restaurant. Then return. 8 miles each way.
- Launch at Hallets Cove. Travel through Hell Gate at slack before flood. Land at Pugsley for a rest stop. Continue onto City Island to a restaurant for lunch. Return by kayak or arrange a car shuttle for a one way trip. 12 miles each way.
Hazardous Launch/Landing Conditions
There are often broken bottles, etc. on the ramp.
Currents here are not swift like at Hell Gate. There is a protected cove to the east.