1st Annual Brooklyn School Gardens Crawl
Saturday, September 29, 2018
9:00 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Please note: This event has already taken place. Please use the Search options on the right to find upcoming events.
Garden Train, the District 15 School Gardens Consortium, will host the 1st Annual Brooklyn School Gardens Crawl on Saturday, September 29. The Crawl, which is produced in partnership with Grow to Learn, is one day of the year when participating schools open up the gates of the school gardens and welcome in neighbors. The purpose of the Crawl is to foster a sense of partnership between schools and community and celebrate our school gardens with a day of free, family-friendly activities.
Participating schools are located throughout the district from Red Hook to Kensington: PS 15, PS 29, PS 32, PS 39, PS 133, PS 146, PS 154, PS 230, PS 295, and PS 372. Each participating school garden is an elementary school and will have free activities especially for kids and their families.
Schedule of Events:
- 9:00 a.m. to 9:45 a.m.: Kickoff at Old Stone House in Park Slope, 336 3rd Street, Brooklyn.
Featured speaker: Karen Washington, activist and farmer
- Brief remarks from our community and school leaders:
- District 15 Superintendent Anita Skop
- Councilmember Brad Lander
- Assemblymember Robert Carroll
- Assemblymember Jo Anne Simon
- CEC15 member and District 15 parent, Mark Bisard
- School Gardens Manager for Grow to Learn, Arielle Hartman
Bagels and coffee will be provided by our event’s host, Old Stone House & Washington Park
- 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.: The 1st Annual Brooklyn School Gardens Crawl!
The public is welcome to visit one or all of the participating school gardens for free family activities. Participants who visit three or more gardens will be eligible for prizes. The following schools welcome you to visit their gardens, which will each have special activities planned from 10:00 am.. to 2 pm. More details about the Crawl, including links to a route map, printable School Gardens “passport", and schedules for each of the participating schools' activities will be posted at gardentrain.wixsite.com/gardentrain/programs.
Participating school gardens:
- PS 15*, 71 Sullivan St. in Red Hook
- PS 29*, 425 Henry St. in Cobble Hill
- PS 32, 317 Hoyt St. in Carroll Gardens (Enter main entrance of school to access roof garden)
- PS 39*, 417 6th Ave. in Park Slope (Garden is located in the schoolyard)
- PS 133*, 610 Baltic St. in Gowanus
- PS 146*, Rapelye St. between Henry and Hicks
- PS 154*, 1625 11th Ave. in Windsor Terrace
- PS 230*, 425 McDonald Ave. in Kensington
- PS 295*, Det. Joseph Mayrose Park at 17th St. and Calder Pl., just off Prospect Ave. in South Slope
- PS 372, Denton Pl and 1st St. in Gowanus
* fully wheelchair accessibility
For more information about this event, please contact Kathy Price at kathyparkpriceCEC15@gmail.com.