Arts, Culture & Fun: Jazz with Whitney Marchelle
Thursday, March 8, 2018
6:30 p.m.–7:30 p.m.
Join us for live jazz with Whitney Marchelle - Ace performer, vocalist, songwriter, recording artist with "an appealingly scorched soul-jazz sound" (Jazztimes)
Blujazz recording artist Whitney Marchelle is a seasoned, award-winning vocalist, songwriter and pianist. In 2016 she received the Young Gifted and Black Crystal Award for jazz and blues, and performed alongside Danny Glover at the United Nations. She has worked with Quincy Jones, Herbie Hancock, Wycliffe Gordon, Clark Terry and Spike Lee. She has toured Dubai, Japan, Singapore, France and all 50 states. Her last CD, Dig Dis, earned rave reviews in Jazztimes and Billboard. These performances will feature ensembles created especially for Women's History Month.
Join us for 12 weeks of live Jazz and Blues concerts!
Every Thursday night, 6:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m., at Pelham Fritz Recreation Center
- 3/1 & 3/22 - Vinnie Knigh – Masterful jazz and blues vocalist, originally from Harlem, celebrated around the world
- 3/8 & 3/29 - Whitney Marchelle – Ace performer, vocalist, songwriter, recording artist with "an appealingly scorched soul-jazz sound" (Jazztimes)
- 3/15 & 4/5 - Paula Hampton – Swinging drummer / bandleader, from one of the great jazz families
Every Thursday mid-day, 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m., at Hansborough Recreation Center
- 4/12 & 5/3 - Phil Young – Drummer and leader of "the Harlem Hip" -- as recently seen in The New Yorker
- 4/19 & 5/10 - George Braith – Hard-swinging underground legend of the saxophone and his own invention, the sopralto Braithophone
- 4/26 & 5/17 - Ray Mantilla – Legendary conga player brings his exciting jazz / Latin quartet
The event is free and open to all!
Presented by the Jazz Foundation of America, with partial support from the National Endowment for the Arts, New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo and the New York State Legislature, and from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, in partnership with the City Council.