Summer Waterfront Celebration at Pier 42
Sunday, August 20, 2017
4:00 p.m.–8:00 p.m.
Please note: This event has already taken place. Please use the Search options on the right to find upcoming events.
Bring friends and family to enjoy the breeze on the waterfront! Activities include:
- Hands-on art workshop: Learn how to make your own stamp and prints with artist Jason Eisner by using the local environment as inspiration
- Join the performers and musicians from Capoeira Luanda and the Capoeira Center of NY in an interactive Capoeira performance led by professors of Capoeira and their students
- Bio/Culture Blitz: Discover all the organisms that inhabit Pier 42 and learn to fish with the Lower East Side Ecology Center. We will also discover the dance moves in our neighborhood with choreographer Jennifer Monson. Share a movement or make one on the spot!
- H2Olympics: Compete in a water Olympics investigating the properties of water with Two Bridges Neighborhood Council
- Play “Stay Cool Jeopardy” with GOLES and learn tips on how to stay cool this summer
- Participate in a free community ride with Citi Bike
Combo Colab and Oficina - Social Impact Design's public artwork Zig Zag Fence will also be on view. The artwork transformd the fence along the north side of Pier 42 along the bikeway with a graphically bold zig-zag gesture that draws inspiration from the way sailboats tack into the wind. The installation visually defines the temporary park, attracting visitors and bringing a dynamic visual sensibility to the overall site.
This event is free and open to the public. For more information, visit pathstopier42.com.
South side of FDR Drive with entrances from the East River Greenway at Montgomery Street and through Corlears Hook Park at Cherry Street
Art & Antiquities, Good Old Lower East Side (GOLES), Hester Street Collaborative, Lower East Side Ecology Center, Lower Manhattan Cultural Council, Two Bridges Neighborhood Council, NY State Senator Daniel Squadron, Paths to Pier 42