Central Park Family Picnic
Saturday, June 27, 2015
12:00 p.m.–3:00 p.m.
Please note: This event has already taken place. Please use the Search options on the right to find upcoming events.
You and your family are invited to kick off summer in Central Park!
Bring a picnic for a relaxing summer afternoon filled with family-friendly Central Park activities: play, discover, enjoy, and give back! You can enjoy live music, lawn games, fishing, and park exploration activities for the whole family.
This fun-filled day kicks off at 12:00 p.m. with the Mils Trills Band playing entertaining summertime songs, and a musical storytelling performance by Play Me a Story.
- Borrow a Field Day kit, which includes a variety of balls, bats, Frisbees, and jump ropes to play with on designated play fields.
- Borrow a fishing pole and go catch-and-release fishing, or join a free Youth Fishing Clinic (limited availability; first-come, first-serve).
- Learn how to conduct water quality tests, and explore life on the microscopic level through water samples of the Harlem Meer.
- Check out a Discovery Kit and go on a scavenger hunt around the Harlem Meer to take a closer look at the aquatic environment.
- Take a break indoors and check out the exhibit in the Dana Discovery Center. "Ponds, Pipes, and People: Water in Central Park" explains the history of water in Central Park and its role in the landscape.
- Discover some of the equipment Central Park Conservancy uses to maintain the park in summer, including a tractor and an algae harvester.
- Picnic on one of the many beautiful lawns cared for by Central Park Conservancy staff and volunteers.
- Visit the arts and crafts table to paint your own fish using watercolors.
Stop inside the Dana Discovery Center and sign out a volunteer badge. Then choose a trash-grabber or a sweeper, and pitch in by helping us pick up litter.
This family-friendly program is free. All ages are welcome. Please RSVP to let us know your coming. This program takes place rain or shine, except in extreme weather conditions (heavy rain, sustained winds of 30mph or heat index above 95 degrees).
For more information about family-friendly programs in Central Park, please visit the Central Park Conservancy's family programs website.