Rose and Crown Tavern map_it

  • Tablet on boulder
  • Tablet on boulder
Location:
Richmond Rd., New Dorp Lane
Description:
Tablet on boulder
Materials:
Bronze, natural boulder
Dimensions:
Tablet H: 18" W: 22"; Boulder H: 4' W: 3' D: 3'
Dedicated:
c. 1921
Foundry:
Eagle-Heath Bronze Corp., Mt. Vernon, NY
Donor:
Richmond County D.A.R.
Inscription:
RICHMOND COUNTY D.A.R.
TABLET MARKING THE SITE OF THE
ROSE AND CROWN TAVERN
ERECTED BY THE HUGUENOTS IN 1665
DEMOLISHED IN 1854
THIS INN WAS OCCUPIED
DURING THE REVOLUTION BY
GENERAL WILLIAM HOWE
AS HIS HEADQUARTERS AND HERE THE
DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE
WAS READ TO THE BRITISH OFFICERS
JULY 9, 1776


*Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common orpopular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily theoriginal dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects thedate of installation.
*For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143

 

Was this information helpful?