Saturday, February 5, 2011
11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
The Nethermead in Prospect Park
Enter at Ocean Ave. & Lincoln Rd.
Snow, rain or shine!
Presented by the NYC Parks Department, Prospect Park Alliance, and the Olympic Regional Development Authority (ORDA), Winter Jam NYC is a free annual winter sports festival that encourages New Yorkers to get out and enjoy the outdoors in the colder months! Our partners at ORDA will be blowing lots of fresh snow, so there will be plenty to go around!
Accessible Route: Take the B/Q to Prospect Park. Exit the station at Lincoln Road. Head north on Ocean Avenue. Enter the park at Lincoln Rd. Walk north towards Center Drive/the Nethermead. Follow signs.
Take the 2/3 to the Grand Army Plaza stop. Enter the park and walk south towards the Nethermead. Please note: this is approximately a 0.7 mile walk.
Bus (Accessible Routes)
B41 to Flatbush Avenue & Lincoln Road. Enter the park at Ocean Avenue. Walk north towards the Nethermead.
B43 to Flatbush Avenue & Lincoln Road. Enter the park at Ocean Avenue. Walk north towards the Nethermead.
B16 to Ocean Avenue & Lincoln Road. Enter the park at Ocean Avenue & Lincoln Road. Walk north towards the Nethermead.
B68 to Kensington/Coney Island Ave. & Canton Ave. Catch the B16 or enter park at Parkside Avenue & Prospect Park Southwest and walk north to the Neathermead.
Head south on the FDR Drive to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel. Turn right at I-478 S (toll road). Merge onto I-278 W (BQE). Take exit 24 on the left to merge onto NY-27 E/Prospect Expressway. Take exit 4 for 10th Avenue toward 11th Avenue.
- Turn left at 11th Avenue, go straight to Prospect Park Southwest. Take a right onto Prospect Park Southwest to the 16th Street entrance.
- OR, take Flatbush Avenue to Lincoln Rd. Turn west onto Ocean Avenue.
No vehicles are allowed to drive in the park on the event day; park outside the park and walk to Ocean Avenue and Lincoln Road and walk north to the Nethermead.
Ski, snowshoe, or play in the snow! More...
Head down to the Lake Placid Snow Field and strap on a pair of cross-country skis or snowshoes, provided by ORDA. Create a snow sculpture with friends or bring a sled and enjoy the natural terrain! Lines for skiing and snowshoeing will be open from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. (exact times subject to change).
Free lessons – equipment provided! More...
Learn the basics of skiing and snowboarding at our “Learn To” Area! Mountain Creek will be providing free equipment and lessons for all ages. All you need to do is show up ready to learn and have fun. You’ll be tackling double black diamond trails in no time!
Bring your board, butter up, and cut loose! More...
Red Bull Butter Cup is a national contest series that showcases creativity and technical flatland trickery. Pro and Am divisions, riders butter up and cut loose on multi-featured custom pads, laying down their best bag of tricks in a jam session head-to-head format event. Winners taking home the Butter Cup trophy and an arm full of new gear.
Preregistration for the Red Bull Butter Cup is full, but if you are still interested in participating, be in the Nethermead at Prospect Park Saturday morning at 11:30 to see if any space is available.
- The Skyriders! Throughout the day
- 11:30 a.m. Nick West Quartet
- 12:30 p.m. Sister Sparrow & The Dirty Birds
- 1:30 p.m. Dujeous
- 2:30 p.m. InnerPartySystem
- 3:30 p.m. BR & Timebomb
Hosted by Craig Baldo
Meet Birdie (GreeNYC’s mascot), take photos with him and build your own SnowBirdie. At 12:00 and 2 p.m. you’ll have the chance to make Birdie’s own version of a snowman, a snowbirdie. He’ll have adorable and functional giveaways too! More info about Birdie
Participants in the Red Bull Butter Cup, cross–country skiing, snowshoeing, and snowboarding/skiing lessons must sign a waiver before participating in any of these activities. The waivers will be provided at the event. Participants under the age of 18 must have a legal guardian present to sign the waiver.
Accessible route to the event at the Nethermead in Prospect Park will be marked with signage from Ocean Ave. Event will include an accessible viewing area.
NYC Parks takes strides to reduce our ecological footprint and protect the parkland so New Yorkers may enjoy these treasured green spaces for generations to come. Here are some of the "green" features of Winter Jam NYC:
- A “Pride of New York” sponsored Warming Hut, featuring free samples from NY State agricultural producers including apples from Champlain Valley Specialty and New York Apple and juice and cider from Red Jacket Orchards
- A “Green Zone” of environmental education booths including the Brooklyn Compost Project, GrowNYC, MillionTreesNYC, and the Urban Park Rangers
- The GreenQuest environmental scavenger hunt featuring eco-trivia questions and prizes
- Wilderness Walking Tours of Prospect Park provided by the Urban Park Rangers
- GreenTeam volunteers, who will be competing with each other to collect recyclables throughout the event
- Appearances by Birdie—the GreeNYC mascot
In addition, the following measures are being taken by Parks to “green” the operations of this event:
- Providing recycling bins and 40+ volunteers to collect recyclables
- Using biodiesel generators to power venues
- Using Parks’ “GreenFleet” of cars (hybrid, electric, and natural gas) to transport materials
- Promoting public transportation and biking to the event
- Reducing the number of printed promotional materials and using social media and other digital resources as an alternative
Want to find more cool events like Winter Jam NYC? Then sign up for Flavorpill, the free weekly email, covering events, art, books, music, and pop culture in NYC and the world over.