Staten Island Restoration Sites
Saw Mill Creek Salt Marsh Restoration
Phase 1 - Berm Removal & Planting(1988)
- Removal of 750 ft earthen berm
- Propagated & planted 12,000 spartina alterniflora seedlings.
- Restored habitat value for fish, invertebrate, and bird species.
- Control of invasive plant species.
- Improved pollutant filtration.
- Improved flood retention.
Funded by Environmental Protection Fund,the City of New York and the New York State Clean Water/Clean Air Bond Act.
Project budget= $740,000.
Oil Spill Damages in the Arthur Kill Watershed
Photo: Pralls Island Exxon Bayway Oil Spill
- Exxon- Bayway oil spill, January 1990, 567,000 gallons. Damage award- $15 million
- CIBRO "Savannah", March 1990, 120,000 gallons. Damage award- $2 million
- Coastal Oil "BT Nautilus", June 1990, 267,000 gallons. Damage award- $3 million
- Reinauer Transportation oil spill, May 1997, 35,000 gallons. Damage award- Pending
Damage awards help fund NRG's Salt Marsh Restoration Program.