Protection Site Details
Bronx Protection Site
Iroquois Pipeline - Natural Area Impacts, Pelham Bay Park
- Proposed natural gas pipeline extending from Canada to Long Island.
- Proposed route through Pelham Bay Park would destroy and fragment significant natural areas.
- Additional proposed route through Ferry Point Park
- Project review on-going
Brooklyn Protection Site
NYC DOT Belt Parkway Bridge Reconstruction
NYC Dot reconstruction of 10 bridges along the Belt Parkway with major impacts at Fresh Creek, Paerdegat Basin, Mill Basin, and Gerritsen Creek.
- Fresh Creek - Anticipated impact to 15 acres of natural areas, including salt marsh, woodland, and grassland.
- Paerdegat Basin- anticipated impact to 29 acres of natural areas, including salt marsh, woodland, and grassland.
- NRG review of Mill Basin and Gerritsen Creek to begin in spring.
Manhattan Protection Site
TBTA Toll Plaza Expansion Impacts- Inwood Hill Park
TBTA Henry Hudson Toll Plaza Expansion -Forest Damages, Inwood Hill Park (1996)
- $1.7 million lawsuit, on-going.
- 53 trees killed/damaged.
- 3 acres of forest understory damage adjacent to parkway.
- On-going effluent drainage into forest.
Queens Protection Site
Alley Park - LIE HOV Expansion: Litigation to Mitigation
Threat of litigation stops NYSDOT from destroying highest quality tulip tree forest in NYC.
NRG/ NYSDOT redesign becomes most ecologically responsible interchange project in NYC history...and maybe the world
- 8.2 acre wetland, open water and forest restoration.
- Dredging and restoration of Alley Pond.
- Restoration of biodiverse native forest.
- Redesign of pathways maximizes public use, but restricts access to sensitive natural areas.
Staten Island Protection Site
USACE Arthur Kill/ Kill Van Kull Deepening
- Impacts to salt marsh due to increased wakes and channelization.
- Increased shipping increases threat of oil and other hazardous materials spills.
- Damage to existing restoration sites, such as Old Place Creek.
- Loss of habitat for wildlife and plant species
- Impacts to water quality.