Queens County Farm Museum
73-50 Little Neck Parkway
Floral Park, NY 11004
At the Queens County Farm Museum people may visit a working farm surrounding the restored Jacob Adriance Farmhouse. The rich glacial soil of Flushing first attracted European settlers in the 17th century, and family farms characterized the area from then until the 1920s. The earliest records of farm ownership by the Adriance family on this site date from 1697.
The third-generation Jacob Adriance built his Dutch-style farmhouse in 1772, with a steeply pitched roof, four-foot overhanging eaves, and hand-split shingles on the exterior. Two unusual features are the English-style central chimney and the northern orientation of the house, which was possible because nearby hills protected the structure from winter winds. The home was doubled in size by Peter Cox between 1833 and 1840.
The house and farmland were bought and sold several times during the 19th century. In the 1870s, the neighboring Creed farm became the Creedmoor rifle range. The Creedmoor State Hospital acquired this site in 1908 and then expanded and took over the Jacob Adriance property in 1927. From 1890 to 1926, two generations of the Stattel family operated a truck farm on the site. A greenhouse and other farm buildings added in the 1930s still remain.
For decades the area remained agricultural and was tilled by hospital patients; the house was used by hospital staff until 1973. Two years later, the Colonial Farmhouse Restoration Society of Bellerose opened the Queens County Farm Museum. The land was transferred from the State to the City of New York in 1981.
The Jacob Adriance Farmhouse was partially restored in 1984-86. Today, its 7 1/2 acres of croplands and orchards are being used to demonstrate the history of agriculture in New York. The Museum staff and volunteers harvest apples and grow herbs, squash, tomatoes and other standard market vegetables, which are sold from a roadside farm stand. Educational tours and workshops cover horticultural technology, farm life history and food preparation. Geese, ducks, cows and sheep roam the grounds. The Museum also stages an old-fashioned county fair, an annual Native American pow-wow and an antique car show. The Museum's barn has been reconstructed and will hold assembly, education and office facilities.