Skip to Main Content

Skip To Search

The Official New York City WebsiteResidentsBusinessVisitorsGovernmentOffice of the Mayornyc.gov always open


Project of the Month July '01

McGolrick Shelter Pavilion



JOHN KRAWCHUK Project Managers

CAROL QU Construction Drawings

MEDHAT SALAM ASSOCIATES Engineering Support

PAUL ERSBOLL Chief of Design

JOHN NATOLI Chief Engineer

Photo of McGolrick Shelter Pavilion

Funding: This project is funded by the Brooklyn Borough President, Howard Golden, with a construction budget of $552,000.

Location: Monsignor Mcgolrick Park is located in Brooklyn between Driggs and Nassau Aves, and Russell and Monitor Sts.

Site History: The park site, originally named Winthrop Park, was acquired in 1888 and was developed with a layout of radiating walkways and sycamore trees from a central paved ellipse. The park was re-named in 1941 for Rev. Edward J. McGolrick (1857-1938), a community leader and pastor of St. Cecilia's Church on Herbert Street in Greenpoint.

The Shelter Pavilion: designed by Architects Helmle & Huberty in 1905, was constructed in 1911 as a grand comfort station for the working class citizens of Greenpoint. The Pavilions were constructed with buff-yellow brick masonry walls, decorative limestone trim and a base course of granite. The Shelter columns, entablature and ceiling were originally constructed in wood and with the exception of contemporary cast-stone columns, remain in place today.

The elegant curved Pavilion: is reminiscent of the 17th and 18th century French garden structures, such as the Grand Trianon at Versailles. The Shelter Pavilion was designated a New York City Landmark in October 1966 and was completely renovated between 1983 and 1985. At that time, the restrooms were consolidated in the north wing, while the south wing was converted into office space.

SHELTER PAVILION DESIGN

1934, Parks Photo Archive

1934, Parks Photo Archive

A little piece of history is being restored in Brooklyn. The McGolrick Park Shelter Pavilion is getting a new lease on life. This building consists of two one-story Pavilion buildings connected by a curved Shelter breezeway. This project is intended to restore the original standing seam metal roof on top of the breezeway that has been missing for many years. This will significantly prevent all the water damage which is occurring to the wooden ceiling of the breezeway and return the proportional balance between the Pavilions intended by the original architects. Replicas of the original globe ceiling fixtures will also be installed as well as the restoration of the original articulated paint scheme on the tongue and grove wooden ceiling. The masonry restoration will consists of removing paint coatings from the lower half of the Shelter Pavilion and the cleaning and repointing of the brick, limestone and granite masonry. Any damaged masonry will also be repaired with matching stone Dutchmans and composite patches.

The North building which contains the public restrooms will also receive significant work. It will be brought up to code for handicap accessibility and a new separate entrance to the women's room will be created.