NYC Resources311Office of the Mayor

Official Website of the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation

Sidewalk Consultation

If you are a homeowner with time-sensitive needs for sidewalk repair, or you own a non-Tax Class 1 properties that is not eligible for Parks’ Trees & Sidewalks Program, you may wish to fix the sidewalk  by requesting a Sidewalk Design Consultation through 311 and obtaining a free Tree Work Permit from Parks to work around the roots.

You will also be required to obtain the necessary permits from other City agencies, including the Department of Transportation, prior to any sidewalk work. We will discuss this during the sidewalk design consultation. 

Repairing the Sidewalk Yourself

  1. Find a contractor who can repair the sidewalk and make preliminary arrangements with them to perform the work. 311 can help you review the business history of licensed contractors.
  2. Call 311 to request a Sidewalk Design Consultation. Parks will notify you with a phone number to call once you are ready to arrange the appointment.
  3. When you are prepared to schedule your contractor, call Parks and make an appointment.
  4. NYC Parks will recommend design techniques for fixing the sidewalk and assist in filing the necessary tree work permits.

City tree root cutting/shaving is strictly prohibited. This practice invariably impacts the health and stability of the trees and poses a hazard to safety. Every effort should be made to preserve mature street trees.Request a consultation via 311 or our tree service request system.

Was this information helpful?