Learn to Swim
More information about the 2013 Summer Learn to Swim classes will be available soon.
Knowing how to swim makes you healthy and keeps you safe. To help teach New Yorkers to swim, Parks is offering free swimming lessons for people of all ages at our indoor pools. Saturday classes are available for toddlers (1½-5), children (6-17), and adults (18 and over); and weekday afterschool classes are available for children (6-17).
Classes for the sinter session are held during a 10-week session from April – June. Please make sure you/your child are available for all classes. The classes are free and online registration is free. If you don’t have access to a computer, staff is available to assist people with registering or you can access a computer at your local library.
All Learn to Swim lottery winners must be members of our recreation centers. If you haven’t already done so, please fill out a membership application to receive your recreation center I.D. card. You must have an I.D. card in order to swim in the pool.
Please visit our Recreation Center Membership page to become a member.
Registration for the spring session begins at 4:00 a.m., on Wednesday, March 27 and ends at 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday, April 2, 2013. The registration will be conducted through an online lottery.
Online Registration Details
- You will receive an email to confirm your registration. Please check your spam folder for emails about the lottery.
- The same person cannot enter the lottery twice. Multiple applications for the same participant will disqualify all their applications from the lottery. This includes multiple applications for the same person at different locations.
- Winners are chosen at random. Applicants who are not chosen will be placed on a waiting list.
- You will be notified by email of the lottery results and class rosters will be posted at each pool.
- Lottery selections are non-transferable. If you or your child has won a spot, you cannot give this spot to another person even if it’s another family member.
- After the lottery is drawn, any remaining spots will be available on a first come, first served basis through a walk-in registration at the center (except at Wagner and Far Rockaway) on Saturday, April 6 from 9:00 a.m. to noon.
Please visit our Full Learn to Swim Registration Information page for more info about learn to swim classes and the online lottery process.
Learn to Swim Sites
There are currently no programs available for registration at this time.
For more information about Parks’ swim programs,call Parks Citywide Aquatics at (718) 760-6969.For general information about Parks & Recreation,call 311 or (212) NEW-YORK from outside New York City.