Learn to Swim
Learning how to swim improves your health and fitness, keeps you safe in and around the water and prevents drowning. To help teach New Yorkers to swim, Parks is offering free swimming lessons for people of all ages at our outdoor pools this summer.
Types of Classes
We offer summer Learn to Swim classes for tots (1 ½ - 5 years old), children (6 – 17 years old), and adults (18 years old or older). We also offer adult water aerobics classes, which provide a great shallow water workout to keep cool during the summer.
Classes are divided into three sessions.
- Session I: July 7 through July 22
- Session II: July 23 through August 7
- Session III: August 11 through August 22.
Classes are held each day while in session. Please choose a class below to find specific start dates and times.
How to Register
Registration for all Learn to Swim and water aerobics classes will be held through an online lottery. Lottery registration will begin at 4:00 a.m. on Friday, June 13, and will end at noon on Friday, June 27 for Session I, noon on Monday, July 14 for Session II, and noon on Monday, August 4 for Session III.
- You or your child may only register for one class per session.
- If you do not have access to a computer, please reach out to a nearby Computer Resource Center, and ask for its hours.
- We will email the results of the lottery to you no later than Monday, June 30 for Session I, Thursday, July 17 for Session II, and Thursday, August 7 for Session III.
- If you or your children are not selected in the online lottery, you will be placed on a waiting list for this program, and will be called if a slot becomes available. We are not able to tell you your current place on the waiting list.
There are currently no programs available for registration at this time.
- Age of a participant will be determined as of the first day of class.
- If your child wins a spot in the learn to swim program, a parent must show a copy of a birth certificate to verify age on the first day of class. Your child will not be able to participate without proof of age.
- You can register yourself or a child for up to three sessions. When you register, make sure you/your children are available for classes. You/your child will be replaced by a wait listed candidate if you miss two consecutive classes.