Full Learn to Swim Registration Information
About Learn to Swim
The Learn to Swim program offers free swim lessons for toddlers (1½-5), children (6-17) and adults(18+ classes are free with recreation membership) at our indoor pools. NYC Parks offers three ten week sessions of swim instruction during the indoor pool season.
Classes will be held in three sessions, during fall, winter, and spring. There are Afterschool classes for children held during the week, and classes for all age groups held on Saturdays.
- Fall Session – Classes were scheduled from the week of October 22, 2012 to the week of January 5, 2013.
- Winter Session – Classes are scheduled from the week of January 21, 2013 to the week of March 30, 2013.
- Spring Session – Classes are scheduled from the week of April 8, 2013 to the week of June 15, 2013.
Types of Classes
- Afterschool classes are held from 4:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. for children ages 6-17.
- Saturday classes are offered for toddlers and children. Class times vary by site and age group so make sure to check the class schedule for each pool.
- Adult classes are scheduled either on Saturday afternoons or on Thursday evenings.
- For toddler classes(ages 1½-5): A parent or guardian must accompany your child in the water for all class sessions -- one parent per child. Your toddler must be 1½ years of age on the first day of class. You must bring a copy of your child’s birth certificate on the first day of class to verify your child’s age. This class teaches your child to be familiar with the water, become comfortable with a front or back position, and be able to control their breath by blowing bubbles or submerging under water.
For child classes (ages 6-17): Your child must be 6 as of the first day of the program. You must bring a copy of your child’s birth certificate to the water to verify your child’s age. A water test will be held for Saturday classes on Saturday, April 6 at noon (at Wagner Pool, the test will be held at 2:30 p.m.; and at Chelsea Recreation Center, it will be held at 12:15 p.m.). The water test will determine whether your child belongs in Level I or Level II for Saturday classes. Children in the Afterschool Learn to Swim classes will be water tested on the first day they are scheduled to attend.
- Children in Level I classes will learn how to safely get into and leave the water, how to control their breath by blowing bubbles, how to float and kick on front and back and move through the water. Children will also learn how to stay safe around the water, and what to do in case of an emergency.
- Children in Level II classes will learn how to move their arms and legs together in a swimming motion and learn how to swim without assistance. Children will also learn to understand dangerous water conditions, and how to assist a swimmer in a water emergency.
- For adults (ages 18+): You do not have to bring a birth certificate and you do not have to be water tested.
How to Register
Registration for the winter session begins at 4:00 a.m., on Wednesday, March 27 and ends at 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday, April 2, 2013. The registration will be conducted by an online lottery.
- The online application asks for basic contact information about each participant (e.g., name, address, telephone number, email address, date of birth). Your information is secure.
- You must have a valid email address to register.
- You cannot enter the lottery more than once per Session. Doing so will not increase your chances to win. It will automatically disqualify your child from the lottery.
- Parents should submit an application for each child, but more than one application for the same child disqualifies that child from the lottery. Please enter siblings separately. This allows all children to have an equal chance in the lottery.
- For children's learn to swim classes, once you pick your location, you will be able to rank Saturday or Afterschool classes in the order of your preference.
Participants must be the right age to attend the class. Eligibility for both the adults and tots program is determined by the age of the participant on the first day of class, while age for children 6-17 is determined as of the first day of the program (April 8). If your child is younger than 6, you should sign your child up for the tot program.
Online Registration Assistance
If you need assistance using a computer, Aquatic Specialists staff will be available to help you enter the lottery at each indoor pool during the following times:
- Metropolitan, St. John’s, St. Mary’s, Asser Levy, Chelsea: Saturday, March 30 from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and Wednesday, March 27 and Monday, April 1 from 3:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
- Recreation Center 54, Tony Dapolito: Saturday, March 30 from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and Thursday, March 28 and Tuesday, April 2 from 6 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
- Roy Wilkins: Saturday, March 30 from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and Thursday, March 28 and Tuesday, April 2 from 3:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
After the Lottery
Lottery winners are chosen at random. Applicants who are not chosen will be placed on a waiting list. You will be notified by email of the lottery results by Thursday, April 4.
After the lottery is drawn, any remaining spots will be available on a first come, first served basis. Walk in registration will be held on Saturday, April 6 from 9:00 a.m. – noon. Winner slots are non-transferable. The waiting list will be used to replace anyone who drops out of the program. Two consecutive absences without notifying the Citywide Aquatics office will result in the person being replaced by a waitlisted candidate.
If you are unable to secure a spot in the lottery, please check back in June for details regarding lottery registration for our Summer Learn to Swim program at Parks outdoor pools.