NYC Resources 311 Office of the Mayor

Official Website of the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation

Permits and Services

Make it official! By submitting a permit application or a service request, you alert the Parks Department to your needs and gain access to some of the best facilities, professionals, and resources in the world.

Each group of players using a field or court must purchase and possess a permit. Parks & Recreation reserves the right to request that players provide proof of approved ballfield or court use.

Apply Online

Special events permits are required for events/activities where twenty or more people will be present. School picnics, birthday parties, and field days all require a special events permit.

Apply Online

To film or photograph in New York City parks, you must first receive clearance from the administrative authority of that park.

Find a Movie

All players must have permits or single-play (one-time use) tickets in order to use a tennis court. Through our website you can renew your tennis permit and purchase single-play tickets, court reservation tickets, or a locker rental.

Renew Online or Download Application

Permission is needed to publish, reprint, broadcast, or duplicate in any way reproductions made from original material of the Parks Photo Archive.

Learn More and Request Online

Apply for a permit to plant or prune a tree, or request a tree-related service.

More Information

Learn about Farmers Market permit requirements and download our application.

More Information

Metal Detector Permits

Find out where you can use a metal detector in New York City parks and apply for the necessary permit to do so.

More Information

Boating and Marinas

Parks requires a permit for the use of our kayak and canoe launch facilities. For larger boats, summer dockage is available at 79th Street Boat Basin for a small fee.

Information and Application Downloads

Wood Debris Removal

All residents of Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, and portions of Staten Island must arrange a pick-up time when discarding any and all tree prunings, firewood, and other organic woody debris.

Submit Request Online

Research Permits

NYC Parks welcomes use of City-owned parklands for scientific research. Parks’ personnel can help researchers with site choice, logistics, and other facets of their research in NYC.

More information

Was this information helpful?