Van Cortlandt Ave. East, Resevoir Oval E
Directions via Google Maps
This playground is located in the northwest quadrant of a 19.7-acre recreational facility built on the former site of a reservoir. On May 1, 1887 the City of New York acquired the property northeast of Bainbridge Avenue and East 207th Street, and two years later opened the Williamsbridge Reservoir. Measuring 925 feet long by 525 feet wide, and with a 46 foot high embankment, the oval receiving reservoir had a capacity of 120 million gallons of water. It was linked to the upstate reservoir at Kensico by a 48-inch diameter cast-iron pipeline extending 15.2 miles.
Directions to Williamsbridge Oval
Know Before You Go
Williamsbridge Oval Recreation Center
The Recreation Center is currently closed for reconstruction. This project will install a new HVAC system and a roof and drainage system. In addition, the granite stone facade will be fully rehabilitated and all the existing windows will be replaced with replica ones. The restroom facilities on the first floor will be completely upgraded so that patrons will have exterior access from the field level of the structure. The main entrance steps at field level will be modified to include a new ramp structure for ADA accessibility. Please pardon our appearance.
Anticipated Completion: Fall 2012
Williamsbridge Oval Weather