The name of this site comes from a bridge across the Bronx River that was named for John Williams. In the 18th century, Williams had a farm on the east bank of the Bronx River in the vicinity of Gun Hill Road and White Plains Road. Some credit him with building the first Bronx River crossing. Though the story remains unproven, his farm was closest to the earliest span, and by the 19th century the bridge and surrounding community became known as Williamsbridge. The neighborhood has also been called Norwood, after an 1889 real estate development.
The City acquired this land, along White Plains Road from Gun Hill Road to East 212th Street, in 1900. Fifteen years later, the Board of Aldermen and the mayor approved of the name, and, later, transferred jurisdiction to Parks in 1926. The comfort station that still stands was first built in 1929 and served for several years as the Williamsbridge Baby Health Station of the New York City Department of Health. Today, this building is the District 12 Headquarters for Parks.
Williamsbridge Square, located on the corner of southbound White Plains Road and East Gunhill Road, features London planetrees (Platanus x acerifolia) and benches.