This park, located on the north edge of the Clinton Hill section of Brooklyn, was originally acquired as part of the widening of Park Avenue. It was acquired through property condemnation in 1942 during the administration of Mayor Fiorello H. LaGuardia and Commissioner Robert Moses. It was named Washington Hall Park, for its three boundary streets, by Commissioner Stern in 1987. Laid out in 1835, Washington Avenue honors George Washington (1732-1799) commander in chief of the Continental Army and first president of the United States (1789-1797). Hall Street, also mapped in 1835, is believed to have been named for George Hall (1795-1868), first Mayor of the City of Brooklyn. Hall, a painter and glazier by trade, served as mayor for one year upon the adoption of a municipal charter in 1834, and was elected to a two-year term as mayor in 1855, at the time when Williamsburgh and Bushwick were annexed to the City of Brooklyn.
Directions to Washington Hall Park
Washington Hall Park Weather