NYC Resources311Office of the Mayor

Verdi Square

Verdi Square

This text is part of Parks’ Historical Signs Project and can be found posted within the park.

Verdi Square was acquired by Parks in 1887 and was named in 1921. The area was formerly a part of the old village of Harsenville located on Bloomingdale Road (now Broadway). It was a popular choice for summer villas in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. In the early 1900s the square served as a gathering place for musicians, including Enrico Caruso and Arturo Toscanini.

In 1974, Verdi Square was designated a Scenic Landmark by the Landmarks Preservation Commission, one of only nine public parks to receive this distinction. The monument was restored in 1997 with funds from the Broadway/72nd Associates.

A permanent monument maintenance endowment has been established by Bertolli USA, Inc. Additional funds for new landscaping designed by Lynden Miller have been donated by Harry B. Fleetwood, and the Verdi Square landscape has been endowed in memory of James H. Fleetwood, a musician.

Directions to Verdi Square

Verdi Square Weather

  • Thu
    Mostly Sunny
    50°F
  • Fri
    Partly Sunny
    52°F
  • Sat
    Mostly Sunny
    61°F
  • Sun
    Mostly Sunny
    60°F

7-day forecast

Was this information helpful?