Click image for larger view
- Location: West side of park, near 14th Street
- Sculptor: Kantilal B. Patel
- Description: Standing figure (over life-size) with integral plinth on pedestal with plaque
- Materials: Figure and plaque---bronze; pedestal---cast concrete
- Dimensions: Figure H: 6'6" W: 1' 9" D: 2' 9"; Pedestal H: 3' 9" W: 2'1" D: 2'6"
- Cast: 1986
- Dedicated: October 2, 1986
- Donor: Gandhi Memorial International Foundation and Mohan B. Murjani
- Inscription: Plaque:
"MY OPTIMISM RESTS ON MY BELIEF IN THE INFINITE / POSSIBILITIES OF THE INDIVIDUAL TO DEVELOP NONVIOLENCE. / .. IN A GENTLE WAY YOU CAN SHAKE THE WORLD." / --- / MOHANDAS K. GANDHI / OCTOBER 2, 1869 - JANUARY 30, 1948 / STATUE PRESENTED TO THE CITY OF NEW YORK / AND CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA / BY / GANDHI MEMORIAL INTERNATIONAL FOUNDATION / --- / PATRON / MOHAN B. MURJANI / CONTRIBUTORS / MURJANI INTERNATIONAL, LTD., PAR PHARMACEUTICALS, INC., AIR INDIA, CHANDI BROTHERS, INC., PRAVEEN AFRIDI, RAM M. BAGAI, SANTS, CHATWAL DEV R. CHITKARA, SURESH C. GUPTA, NARENDRA K. HADPAWAT, KAMLU AND SHAM LALL, PERRY LEVINE, SURESH P. MASTER, KRISHNA K. MEHTA, PRAVIN PANDHI, HARSHAD PAREKH, ASHOK PATEL, R.K. PATEL, ZLATKO PAUNOV GOVINDAPPA RANGAIAH, H.K. CHANDRA SEKHAR, SHAMARAO AND LAXMI TATTI, DON SHELDON, KOTHARI & GANDHI FAMILY, ANONYMOUS…/ ---/ DEDICATED OCTOBER 2, 1986 / EDWARD I. KOCH / MAYOR OF THE CITY OF NEW YORK / HENRY J. STERN / COMMISSIONER OF PARKS AND RECREATION /
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143