"Uncle" Vito E. Maranzano Glendale Playground
Central Ave. bet. 70 St. and 71 St.
Directions via Google Maps
Glendale Playground bears the name of its neighborhood in west central Queens. In 1860 George S. Schott acquired property in the area known as Fresh Pond and renamed it for his birthplace in Glendale, Ohio. Within a decade real estate developer John C. Schooley surveyed the land and laid out blocks and streets. With the arrival of the South Side Railroad in 1867 and steam-powered transportation in 1893, row houses and single-family residences gradually displaced local farms. Nonetheless, nearby cemeteries, such as Cypress Hills (opened in 1848) and All Saints (1852) retain some of Glendale’s rural landscape. During the first half of the 20th century, the neighborhood attracted a substantial German immigrant population and new industries, such as breweries, airplane manufacturers, textile factories, and film studios. More recently, immigrants from Eastern and Central Europe, the Caribbean, and Asia have settled in the…
Directions to "Uncle" Vito E. Maranzano Glendale Playground
"Uncle" Vito E. Maranzano Glendale Playground Weather