Joseph P. Addabbo Park
In the course of his 25 years in politics, Joseph Addabbo (1925-1986) won much respect from his colleagues, constituents and community for his ability to be just, compassionate and effective. A life long resident of Ozone Park, he was educated at City College and St. John’s University, where he received his law degree in 1946. Addabbo began his career as a lawyer in Ozone Park, which remained his home for his entire life, even while he was a Congressman in Washington, D.C.
First elected to represent the 6th District in Queens in 1960, Addabbo, a Democrat, was re-elected to Congress 12 times. He supported legislation in support of the elderly, education, small businesses, veterans benefits, and appropriation of funds for economically depressed areas. As Chairman of the Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense (1979-1986) Addabbo played a powerful role in both shaping and challenging national defense policy. He worked to curb defense spending, sponsored legislation to halt the Vietnam war, and advocated a nuclear freeze while at the same time bolstering defense contracts for New York. Addabbo served in Congress until he died on April 10, 1986.
The area bounded by 80th and 83rd Streets, 133rd Avenue and the North Conduit, was named for Addabbo in 1986 under a local law introduced by Councilmember Walter Ward and signed by Mayor Edward I. Koch. It is one sector of Tudor Park which consists of five separate parcels totaling 24.216 acres which were acquired and mapped as parkland between the years 1915 and 1974. The earliest area of the park was transferred for park purposes from the Department of Water Supply, Gas & Electricity when it was deemed unnecessary for the North/Brooklyn Conduit. Tudor Park takes its name from the neighborhood of Tudor Village and its collection of Tudor style houses, built in 1929, that transformed the farmland into a residential area.
In 1997, the park underwent a $560,000 renovation project funded by Councilmember Alfonso C. Stabile. New modular play equipment, spray showers, bocce courts, a horseshoe court, extensive landscaping, re-asphalted softball fields, and safety surfacing will join the grove of mature sycamores and oaks that adorns the playground’s east end.