Back to Monuments List
Daniel D. Tompkins
Click image for larger view
- Sculptor: Allen G. Newman
- Description: Tablet with text
- Materials: Bronze, natural granite boulder
- Dimensions: H: 1'8" W: 1'6"; Boulder H: 40" W: 40"
- Dedicated: June 21, 1932
- Inscription: DANIEL D. TOMPKINS / 1774-1825 / GOVERNOR OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK 1807-1817 / VICE-PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES 1817-1825 / AND A RESIDENT OF STATEN ISLAND. / AMONG MANY MERITORIOUS ACTS HE AIDED THE / PASSAGE OF THE LAW ABOLISHING SLAVERY WITHIN / THE STATE, ADDED TO THE FORTIFICATIONS AT THE / NARROWS DURING THE WAR OF 1812; FOUNDED THE / VILLAGE OF TOMPKINSVILLE; LAID OUT THE RICHMOND / TURNPIKE; GAVE THE LAND ON WHICH THE / DUTCH REFORM CHURCH WAS BUILT AND ESTABLISHED / THE FIRST STEAMBOAT FERRY FROM STATEN ISLAND. / IN 1824 HE AND DR. VAN PELT ENTERTAINED / GENERAL LAFAYETTE ON STATEN ISLAND / ERECTED BY / RICHMOND BOROUGH / GEORGE WASHINGTON BICENTENNIAL COMMISSION / JUNE 21, 1932 /
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143