Back to Monuments List
The Watering Place
Click image for larger view
- Location: Victory Blvd. and Bay St.
- Description: Tablet on natural boulder
- Materials: Bronze, natural boulder
- Dimensions: Tablet H: 2' W: 1'2"; Boulder H: 5'8" W: 4'6"
- Dedicated: 1925
- Donor: Richmond County Chapter, D.A.R.
- Inscription: THE WATERING PLACE / NEAR THIS SPOT EARLY / COLONIAL NAVIGATORS / REPLENISHED THEIR SHIPS' / SUPPLY OF WATER FROM / A SPRING WELL KNOWN / TO THOSE ANCHORING / INSIDE THE NARROWS / BEFORE THE YEAR 1623. / THE RICHMOND COUNTY CHAPTER, / DAUGHTERS OF / THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION, / PLACE THIS TABLET TO MARK / THE EARLIEST HISTORICAL SPOT / ON STATEN ISLAND. / 1925 /
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143