Enjoy the outdoors with your dog in New York City parks! Remember to be safe, obey the rules, and respect the park and others.
Rules and Regulations
- New York State law requires that dogs be vaccinated against rabies, and the New York City Health Code requires every dog owner/attendant carry with them proof of current dog license and rabies vaccination while in public. Dog owners may be fined for violation of these laws. To obtain an application for a dog license, please visit the New York City Department of Health website, or call 311. You may also obtain an application from a veterinarian, animal shelter, or pet shop.
- Dogs must be on a leash (no more than six feet long) at all times, except in dog runs and designated off-leash areas at the prescribed times.
- You must pick up after your dog and dispose of the waste in containers provided throughout the park.
- You must prevent your dog from chasing birds, squirrels, and other animals.
- Dogs are not permitted in playgrounds, zoos, fountains, ball fields, on basketball/handball/tennis courts, in swimming pools/facilities, bathing areas, and New York City beaches (see exceptions below).
Where to Go With Your Dog
Beaches and Bathing Facilties: Dogs are not allowed to enter any bathing facilities, including New York City beaches. However, as a courtesy, leashed dogs are allowed on the sand and boardwalk at Rockaway Beach, Coney Island & Brighton Beach, Manhattan Beach, Midland Beach, and South Beach from October 1 until May 1. Leashed dogs are allowed on the boardwalk/promenade at Orchard, Coney Island, Brighton, Midland, South, and Manhattan Beaches.
Dog Runs: Dog runs are large, fenced-in areas for dogs to exercise unleashed during park hours.
Designated Off-Leash Areas: Some park areas allow dogs to be off leash from the time the park opens until 9:00 a.m. and from 9:00 p.m. until the park closes.
|Sunset Park Off-Leash Area||Sunset Park Oval lawn area only, center of park 44th Street, 41st Street, 6th Avenue||Off-Leash|
Directions to Sunset Park
Know Before You Go
There are currently 2 service interruptions affecting access within this park.
The bathhouse located at 7th Avenue between 41st and 44th Streets in Sunset Park will be under construction to create an attractive, historically appropriate and accessible spray shower in the footprint of the existing wading pool. The new spray shower will feature vertical water spray elements of varying heights, a central waterfall, ground sprays for toddlers, touch activated bollards, stainless steel play drums, bench seating and decorative pavements. New trees, ornamental plantings, fencing and a drinking fountain will also be included.
Anticipated Completion: Summer 2014
Sunset Park Recreation Center
The weight room at Sunset Park Recreation Center will be closed from May 4 - May 23. The multipurpose room will be closed from May 11 to May 23 due to repairs and new installations being made. Thank you for your patience.
Sunset Park Weather
- Parks Celebrates $4.4 Million Renovation To Sunset Park Field
- Spotlight On Sunset Park Afterschool
- Love Blooms In New York City’s Parks
- Basketball Courts
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Handball Courts
- Outdoor Pools
- Recreation Centers
- Spray Showers
Know when to go:
View upcoming athletic area usage in