Murray Hill War Memorial
Click image for larger view
- Location: 35th-36th Streets and 1st and 2nd Avenues
- Description: 4 tablets set into exterior of building wall
- Materials: Bronze
- Dimensions: Tablets H: 1'5" W: 2'7"; Base H: 3'7" W: 2'5"
- Dedicated: 1936
- Donor: Murry Hill Post No. 56, American Legion
- Inscription: THE BRONZE PLAQUES / FLAGPOLE AND GROVE / OF TREES. PROVIDED / BY
THE CITIZENS OF THIS / COMMUNITY. UNDER / THE SPONSORSHIP OF / MURRY
HILL POST NO. 56 / AMERICAN LEGION, ARE / DEDICATED IN HALLOWED/
MEMORY OF THE SONS OF / THIS NEIGHBORHOOD / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/
IN THE WORLD WAR / IN THE CAUSE OF / JUSTICE, FREEDOM / AND/
DEMOCRACY / DEDICATED, 1936
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143