Back to Monuments List
General Philip Henry Sheridan
Click image for larger view
- Location: Adjoining Sheridan Square, Christopher, Grove and West 4th Streets
- Sculptor: Joseph P. Pollia
- Description: Standing figure (over life-size) with integral plinth on pedestal
- Materials: Bronze, Conway green granite
- Dimensions: H: 12'4" W: 3'10" D: 3'10"
- Cast: 1936
- Dedicated: October 19, 1936
- Foundry: Roman Bronze Works
- Donor: General Sheridan Memorial Association, Inc.
- Inscription: Pedestal front:
GENERAL PHILIP HENRY / SHERIDAN / 1831-1888 /
Pedestal proper right:
"HE BELONGS TO THE FIRST RANK / OF SOLIDERS. NOT ONLY OF OUR / COUNTRY BUT OF THE WORLD" / U.S. GRANT /
Pedestal proper left:
ERECTED BY THE GENERAL SHERIDAN / MEMORIAL ASSOCIATION AND HIS COMRADES OF THE G.A.R. /
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143