Livonia Ave. between Barbey St. and Schenck Ave.
Directions via Google Maps
The Schencks, for whom this playground and Schenck Avenue are named, first lived in Brooklyn in colonial times, and members of the family served in political office over several generations. The Schencks descended from Johannes Schenk (1656-1748), who was born in Holland, married Maria Magdalena de Hes (1660-1729), and immigrated to America in 1683. A year after their arrival, the Schenks affiliated themselves with the Collegiate Reformed Dutch Church in New York. In 1685, they moved upstate to Esopus (now Kingston), where Johannes taught at the Reformed Dutch Church for five years. The couple moved back to Brooklyn, and Johannes took a new teaching post and became the town clerk of Flatbush. This was not surprising, for it was common at the time for schoolmasters to serve as town clerks as well. Johannes held both posts until 1712, when he and his family moved to Bushwick. In 1719, Johannes Schenk was elected to represent the town in the Board of Supervisors of Kings County.…