This playground is named for the Saw Mill Creek, also known as the Mill Brook, which once flowed by this parkland. The creek originated in Gates Place in the North Bronx, ran along what is now Brook and Webster Avenues, and emptied into the Bronx Kill. Sawmills flourished along the many tributaries of Bronx waterways for more than two hundred years. The early sawmill, devised in 1352 in Europe, was dependent on water as both a power source and a means of transporting goods. Logs were floated down river to sawmills, which cut raw lumber into standardized shapes and sizes for building purposes. Another byproduct of the sawing process was wood pulp, from which paper is made. Due to the abundance of lumber and waterpower in the Hudson River Valley, sawmills became a popular and lucrative industry for 17th Century European settlers.
Directions to Saw Mill Playground
- Bronx General Site Work (XG-514M)
- CPI- Little Claremont Park, Longfellow Garden, Lyons Square Playground, Saw Mill Playground and MLK Playground Reconstruction
- Luther Gulick, Lyons Square, Saw Mill Playground, and Ten Eyck Playground Comfort Station Construction