Snug Harbor Cultural Center
Richmond Ter., Tysen St., Kissel Ave., Henderson Ave.
Staten Island, 10301, 10310
Directions via Google Maps
This piece by sculptor Seena Donneson depicts a 10-foot-high abstract upright hourglass-shaped geometric form. Installed on Snug Harbor’s West Lawn and dedicated in 1980, the pre-cast red reinforced concrete work is modeled after a smaller stainless steel precursor called Icon. Icon II was originally created for the Snug Harbor Outdoor Sculpture Exhibit Program, and eventually became part of the permanent collection. The piece was fabricated and donated by the Grow-Kiewit-MK Tunneling Corporation of New York. Donneson’s Nova Series III (1978), a similarly designed geometric piece, was located temporarily, outside the Goldwater Hospital on Roosevelt Island.
Icon II Details
- Sculptor: Seena Donneson
- Description: Upright X-form on plinth
- Materials: Precast, Tuscan red reinforced concrete
- Dimensions: H: 10' W: 5'9¼" D: 1'6"; Plinth H: 1' W: 7'1¼" L: 2'10"; Weight: 8,000 pounds
- Cast: 1978
- Dedicated: April 21, 1980
- Fabricator: Grow-Kiewit - MK Tunneling Corporation
- Donor: Grow-Kiewit - MK Tunneling Corporation
- Inscription: [signed at base] Seena Donneson