Rockaway Beach and Boardwalk
Rockaway! Exhibit from MoMA PS1: The Surf Club
Monday, July 14, 2014
12:00 p.m.–6:00 p.m.
This event repeats every weekday between 6/29/2014 and 9/1/2014.
Rockaway!, a free public arts festival sponsored by the Jamaica Bay-Rockaway Parks Conservancy (JBRPC) to celebrate the reopening of Fort Tilden and recognize the ongoing recovery of the Rockaway peninsula, opens June 29 and continues through September 1, 2014. Invited by the Rockaway Artists Alliance (RAA), an association of artists based in and around the Rockaways, and the JBRPC, MoMA PS1 has assisted and supported the conception of this festival.
One component of the festival is a group exhibition organized in collaboration with the Honolulu Biennial on the grounds of the newly restored Rockaway Beach Surf Club on Beach 87th Street in Rockaway Beach. Following Hurricane Sandy, the Surf Club was the one of the largest relief centers on the peninsula; their organization facilitated and directed over 5,000 volunteers, with major contributions from MoMA PS1. The exhibition celebrates the efforts of the Rockaway community of surfers and artists in rebuilding their neighborhood.
For details and times of the rest of the exhibit, please visit the Rockaway! website.
Directions to Rockaway Beach and Boardwalk
Rockaway Beach and Boardwalk Weather
- Second Section Of New, Resilient Rockaway Boardwalk Opens For The July Fourth Holiday Weekend
- NYC Parks Deploys AT&T Street Charge Units At The Beach
- NYC Parks Breaks Ground On Renovations To Rockaway Beach Roller Hockey Rink
- National Night Out - 101st Precinct
- Shape Up NYC: Zumba Fitness with Maxie
- Summer Movie Night: Back to the Future 2
- Catskill Puppet Theater presents "The Lions Whiskers"
- Summer Sounds: York Summer College Reunion Band
- Barbecuing Areas
- Baseball Fields
- Basketball Courts
- Fitness Equipment
- Handball Courts
- Roller Hockey
- Skate Parks
- Spray Showers
- Volleyball Courts