Back to Monuments List
The Isaiah Wall
Click image for larger view
- Location: 1st Avenue and 43rd Street; across from the United Nations
- Architect: Andrews & Clark
- Description: Staircase with curved wall, incised letters
- Materials: Granite
- Dedicated: 1948, 9/8/75 (rededicated)
- Fabricator: A. Ottavino Granite (letters)
- Inscription: THEY SHALL BEAT THEIR SWORDS INTO / PLOWSHARES, AND THEIR SPEARS
INTO / PRUNING HOOKS; NATION SHALL NOT LIFT / UP SWORD AGAINST
NATION. NEITHER / SHALL THEY LEARN WAR ANY MORE / ISAIAH
LETTERS ISAIAH ADDED 9/8/75 BY A. OTTAVINO GRANITE CORP.
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143