- Location: West side of East Drive, north of entrance to Prospect Park Wildlife Center
- Description: Plaque mounted on boulder
- Materials: Bronze, granite
- Dimensions: H: 1'4¼" W: 2'5"
- Cast: 1991
- Dedicated: 1929; rededicated ca. 1991
- Foundry: Original plaque--Pitbladdo Monument Works, Inc., 242 25th Street, Brooklyn, NY; replacement plaque--U.S. Bronze, Hyde Park, NY
- Donor: Battle Pass Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution
- Inscription: HISTORIC MARKER OF BATTLE PASS / AT THIS POINT THE OLD PORTE ROAD OR VALLEY GROVE ROAD / INTERSECTED THE LINE OF HILLS SEPARATING FLATBUSH FROM / BROOKLYN AND GOWANUS. IN THE BATTLE OF LONG ISLAND, AUGUST 27, 1776, THIS PASS WAS BARRICADED IN FRONT BY DONGAN OAK / AND OTHER OBSTRUCTIONS. IT WAS PROTECTED BY ARTILLERY ON / REDOUT HILL JUST TO THE EAST. HERE THE AMERICAN FORCES / STOOD THEIR GROUND AGAINST THE HESSIANS COMING FROM THE / SOUTH TILL FLANKED FROM THE RIVER BY A BODY OF BRITISH TROOPS. / GENERAL SULLIVAN WAS CAPTURED, BUT MOST OF HIS TROOPS / RETREATED ACROSS WHAT IS NOW THE LONG MEADOW, JOINING / THE MARYLAND AND OTHER TROOPS FOR THE FINAL RESISTANCE / NEAR THE OLD STONE HOUSE OF GOWANUS. /
Directions to Prospect Park
Know Before You Go
There are currently 3 service interruptions affecting access within this park.
The Prospect Park Well House is under reconstruction in order to build a new composting latrine. The park remains open while the building gets reconstructed.
Anticipated Completion: Winter 2015
The Long Meadow Ballfields will be closed at Prospect Park for construction. The reconstruction of the Long Meadow Ballfields is a multi-phase project encompassing 34 acres of fields, paths and woodlands. The project incorporates contemporary storm water management techniques that support our goal of capturing and retaining storm water runoff. These improvements will also help to filter runoff before it enters our watercourse. Designed to revitalize the park’s sporting community, the first phase will restore Field One, pedestrian and bridle paths, drinking fountains, benches, and include new tree plantings.
Anticipated Completion: Summer 2015
Starting July 6, 2015, Prospect Park's West Drive will be permanently car-free after 9 a.m. on weekdays and 24 hours a day on weekends and holidays. For more information, please visit on.nyc.gov/1MOAh40.
Prospect Park Weather
- Shape Up NYC: Glutes in Gear: Cardio & Toning
- Nature Exploration
- Celebrate Brooklyn: LeeSaar The Company, Ohad Naharin & Guest Dancers from Batsheva Dance Company
- Shape Up NYC: Cardio Toning
- Nature Exploration
- Barbecuing Areas
- Baseball Fields
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Great Trees
- Hiking Trails
- Historic Houses
- Horseback Riding Trails
- Ice Skating Rinks
- Nature Centers
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
- Wi-Fi Hot Spots
- Zoos and Aquariums
Know when to go:
View upcoming athletic area usage in