- Location: 9th Street entrance
- Sculptor: Daniel Chester French
- Architect: Henry Bacon
- Description: Bas-relief on stele; terrace
- Materials: Bronze; Milford pink granite (polished)
- Dimensions: Bas-relief H: 10' W: 13' ; Stele H: 19' W: 22' D: 8'10"; Terrace W: 72' D: 35'
- Cast: ca. 1917
- Dedicated: May 10, 1917
- Foundry: Gorham Co.
- Donor: Henry Harteau
1) front: "THE MARQUIS DE LAFAYETTE [---] THIS MONUMENT WAS / ERECTED AND PRESENTED BY HENRY HARTEAU A DISTINGUISHED CITIZEN OF BROOKLYN TO BE AN / ENDURING TRIBUTE TO THE MEMORY OF ONE WHO AS / A FRIEND AND COMPANION OF THE IMMORTAL WASH INGTON FOUGHT TO ESTABLISH IN OUR COUNTRY / THOSE VITAL PRINCIPLES OF LIBERTY AND HUMAN / BROTHERHOOD WHICH HE AFTERWARD LABORED TO ESTABLISH IN HIS OWN
2) rear: "THIS MEMORIAL WAS UNVEILED AND DEDICATED BY / MARSHALL JOFFRE AND M. VIVANI OF THE FRENCH / WAR COMMISSION, MAY 10, 1917"
Directions to Prospect Park
Know Before You Go
There are currently 2 service interruptions affecting access within this park.
The Long Meadow Ballfields will be closed at Prospect Park for construction. The reconstruction of the Long Meadow Ballfields is a multi-phase project encompassing 34 acres of fields, paths and woodlands. The project incorporates contemporary storm water management techniques that support our goal of capturing and retaining storm water runoff. These improvements will also help to filter runoff before it enters our watercourse. Designed to revitalize the park’s sporting community, the first phase will restore Field One, pedestrian and bridle paths, drinking fountains, benches, and include new tree plantings.
Anticipated Completion: Fall 2014
The Prospect Park Well House is under reconstruction in order to build a new composting latrine. The park remains open while the building gets reconstructed.
Anticipated Completion: Winter 2015
Prospect Park Weather
- Pop-Up Audubon: Leaf Litter Critters
- Pop-Up Audubon II: Animal Clues
- Earth Day at Prospect Park
- Spring Sprouts
- Shape Up NYC: Glutes in Gear: Cardio & Toning
- Barbecuing Areas
- Baseball Fields
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Great Trees
- Hiking Trails
- Historic Houses
- Horseback Riding Trails
- Ice Skating Rinks
- Nature Centers
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
- Wi-Fi Hot Spots
- Zoos and Aquariums
Know when to go:
View upcoming athletic area usage in