- Location: South of Flower Garden
- Sculptor: Augustus Lukeman
- Architect: Arthur D. Pickering
- Description: Group of two figures on pedestal before a high, arced wall; two benches; altar; six large plaques; one small plaque; paving
- Materials: Group and plaques--bronze; Pedestal and wall--Milford pink granite
- Dimensions: Wall H: 18' W: 35'
- Cast: 1921
- Dedicated: June 26, 1921
- Donor: William H. Todd
- Inscription: 1) above bench, left: "MEN AND WOMEN OF BROOKLYN WHO DIED / IN THE WORLD WAR / MCMXIV - MCMXVIII"
2) above bench, right: "[...] FOR LIBERTY / [...] PEACE / [...] COUNTRY"
3) six large plaques: 2,800 names
4) small plaque, rear: "PRESENTED BY / WILLIAM H. TODD / AND ACCEPTED FOR THE / CITY OF NEW YORK BY / MAYOR / JOHN F. HYLAN / AND / JOHN N. HARMAN / COMMISSIONER OF PARKS / A.D. MCMXX1"
Directions to Prospect Park
Know Before You Go
There are currently 3 service interruptions affecting access within this park.
The Prospect Park Well House is under reconstruction in order to build a new composting latrine. The park remains open while the building gets reconstructed.
Anticipated Completion: Winter 2015
The Long Meadow Ballfields will be closed at Prospect Park for construction. The reconstruction of the Long Meadow Ballfields is a multi-phase project encompassing 34 acres of fields, paths and woodlands. The project incorporates contemporary storm water management techniques that support our goal of capturing and retaining storm water runoff. These improvements will also help to filter runoff before it enters our watercourse. Designed to revitalize the park’s sporting community, the first phase will restore Field One, pedestrian and bridle paths, drinking fountains, benches, and include new tree plantings.
Anticipated Completion: Summer 2015
Starting July 6, 2015, Prospect Park's West Drive will be permanently car-free after 9 a.m. on weekdays and 24 hours a day on weekends and holidays. For more information, please visit on.nyc.gov/1MOAh40.
Prospect Park Weather
- Medicinal Plants Hike
- Nature Exploration
- Shape Up NYC: Cardio Toning
- Nature Exploration
- Lola Star's Dreamland Roller Disco Party: Great Gatsby
- Barbecuing Areas
- Baseball Fields
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Great Trees
- Hiking Trails
- Historic Houses
- Horseback Riding Trails
- Ice Skating Rinks
- Nature Centers
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
- Wi-Fi Hot Spots
- Zoos and Aquariums
Know when to go:
View upcoming athletic area usage in