Kissena Blvd., 155 St. bet. 65 Ave. and Melbourne Ave.
Directions via Google Maps
This playground takes its name from the adjacent Pomonok Houses. Pomonok is a Native American word for the land that comprises eastern Long Island. The exact translation of Pomonok is unclear, but it means either “land of tribute” or “land where there is travelling by water.”
Pomonok Houses were built on the site of the former Pomonok Country Club. Founded in 1921, past members of the Flushing Country Club formed a land company to purchase 125 acres of farmland east of Jamaica Avenue, on which they later built an 18-hole golf course. In the 1920’s, membership to the club required purchase of $900 share of stock, an initiation fee of $250 and annual dues of $150, a substantial sum for the time.