Changing Lenses Opening Reception
Saturday, May 11, 2013
12:00 p.m.–3:00 p.m.
Students from the Urban Assembly School for Wildlife Conservation present a photography exhibition entitled Changing Lenses at Poe Park Visitors Center. The exhibition marks the beginning of a new program that expands arts education for young scientists, and brings their work beyond the walls of the school into the community at large.
Throughout the Spring 2013 semester, nine students in grades 9 – 11 gathered for weekly after-school sessions with UASWC art instructor Jessica Sinclair and teaching artist Mustafa Önder. Using SLR cameras, nine students were introduced to the fundamentals of photography. Emphasis was placed on the communicative properties of image-making: composition, storytelling, and conceptualization. Photographic outings were undertaken throughout the local community, to the Bronx Zoo, and to Bryant Park in Manhattan. The group also took a field trip to the International Center of Photography, where they received a guided tour by a museum educator.
The project is sponsored by Joy of Givings Something, Inc. (JGS), a not-for-profit organization that promotes the art of photography.
2640 Grand COncourse, Bronx NY 10458, between 192 Street and Kingsbridge Road
Poe Visitor Center
Directions to Poe Park
Poe Park Weather
- Greener Pastures: Celebrating 125 Years Of Bronx Parks
- Comic Book Art Exhibition On Display At Poe Park Visitor Center
- Swamp Art Exhibition On View At Poe Park Visitor Center
- The Bronx Meets Vienna: A Street Photography Study Exhibition
- English Reading For Adults
- SummerStage Kids Presents: Puppetmobile
- Tai Chi
- Creative Short Story Writing Workshop