Playground 103 CIII
FDR Dr. bet.ween E. 102 St. and E. 106 St.
Directions via Google Maps
Planners of the East River Houses laid out plans for Playground 103 in 1940 with the names East River Drive Playground and F.D.R. Drive Playground. Designed by Voorhees, Walker, Foley, and Smith, the ten-story, 12.5-acre complex was one of the earliest housing projects, initiated after the 1936 founding of the New York City Housing Authority. Mayor Fiorello H. LaGuardia (1882-1947) was on-hand for the East River Houses’ 1941 opening. Currently 4000 people live in the Houses.
Parks Commissioner Stern renamed this 103rd Street parkland Playground 103 in 1998. The hopscotch court, probably painted by W.P.A. (Works Progress Administration) workers during the Great Depression (1929-1941) is still used for hopscotch games. Over the years, Parks has added swing sets, safety surfacing, benches, and basketball courts to the site.