NYC Resources311Office of the Mayor

Playground 286

Ave. Y between Brown St. and Haring St.

Brooklyn

Directions via Google Maps

This text is part of Parks’ Historical Signs Project and can be found posted within the park.

The Sheepshead Bay area experienced great economic growth at the turn of the 20th century. Following the success of the Sheepshead Bay Racetrack (1880-1915), located between Nostrand Avenue and Knapp Street, the Whitney family purchased it and converted it into the Sheepshead Bay Speedway (1915-1919). Although very successful, Henry Paine Whitney (1872-1930) sold the track in 1919 to the Joseph Day Real Estate Company to pay off gambling debts. The Real Estate Company then subdivided the area and sold parcels to various contractors who developed housing between 1919 and 1922. The developers named their streets for themselves. This street and playground was named for a developer named Haring.

Read More

Park Information

Directions to Playground 286

    Playground 286 Weather

    • Thu
      Mostly Cloudy
      69°F
    • Fri
      Mostly Sunny
      70°F
    • Sat
      Showers
      69°F
    • Sun
      Sunny
      62°F

    7-day forecast

    Was this information helpful?