Back to Monuments List
Jewish-American Tercentenary Flagstaff
Click image for larger view
- Sculptor: Abram Belskie
- Description: Flagstaff on base, plaque
- Materials: Milford pink granite, bronze
- Dimensions: Base H: 6'10" W: 4'7" D: 4'7"; Plaque H: 4'7" W: 2'8"
- Cast: May 20, 1955
- Dedicated: May 20, 1955
- Foundry: Roman Bronze Works
- Donor: State of New York, under auspices of The New York Legislative Committee for the American Jewish Tercentenary
- Inscription: ERECTED / BY / THE STATE OF NEW YORK / TO HONOR THE MEMORY / OF THE TWENTY THREE / MEN WOMEN & CHILDREN / WHO LANDED / IN SEPTEMBER 1654 / AND / FOUNDED THE FIRST / JEWISH COMMUNITY / IN / NORTH AMERICA /---/ AMERICAN JEWISH TERCENTENARY / 1654-1954
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143