Pelham Bay Park
Enjoy the outdoors with your dog in New York City parks! Remember to be safe, obey the rules, and respect the park and others.
Rules and Regulations
- New York State law requires that dogs be vaccinated against rabies, and the New York City Health Code requires every dog owner/attendant carry with them proof of current dog license and rabies vaccination while in public. Dog owners may be fined for violation of these laws. To obtain an application for a dog license, please visit the New York City Department of Health website, or call 311. You may also obtain an application from a veterinarian, animal shelter, or pet shop.
- Dogs must be on a leash (no more than six feet long) at all times, except in dog runs and designated off-leash areas at the prescribed times.
- You must pick up after your dog and dispose of the waste in containers provided throughout the park.
- You must prevent your dog from chasing birds, squirrels, and other animals.
- Dogs are not permitted in playgrounds, zoos, fountains, ball fields, on basketball/handball/tennis courts, in swimming pools/facilities, bathing areas, and New York City beaches (see exceptions below).
Where to Go With Your Dog
Beaches and Bathing Facilties: Dogs are not allowed to enter any bathing facilities, including New York City beaches. However, as a courtesy, leashed dogs are allowed on the sand and boardwalk at Rockaway Beach, Coney Island & Brighton Beach, Manhattan Beach, Midland Beach, and South Beach from October 1 until May 1. Leashed dogs are allowed on the boardwalk/promenade at Orchard, Coney Island, Brighton, Midland, South, and Manhattan Beaches.
Dog Runs: Dog runs are large, fenced-in areas for dogs to exercise unleashed during park hours.
Designated Off-Leash Areas: Some park areas allow dogs to be off leash from the time the park opens until 9:00 a.m. and from 9:00 p.m. until the park closes.
|Pelham Bay Park Off-Leash Area||Middletown Road & Stadium Avenue, northwest of parking lot.||Off-Leash||The dog run at Pelham Bay Park is close to Watt Avenue and Middletown Road. Both streets merge at the entrance to the parking lot on Middletown Road. The dog run is about 100 yards east of that point.|
Please download our map of permitted on-leash dog areas.
Directions to Pelham Bay Park
Pelham Bay Park Weather
- NYC Parks Deploys AT&T Street Charge Units At The Beach
- Historic House: Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum
- NYC Parks Kicks Off Summer Beach Season In New York City
- Winter Chamber Music
- Gilded Age Glamour Exhibition Opening
- Kids Week Bronx: Coastal Animal Exploration
- Kids Week Bronx: Orienteering
- Winter Succulent Garden Terrarium Workshop
- Barbecuing Areas
- Baseball Fields
- Basketball Courts
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Bocce Courts
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Football Fields
- Golf Courses
- Great Trees
- Handball Courts
- Hiking Trails
- Historic Houses
- Horseback Riding Trails
- Kayak/Canoe Launch Sites
- Nature Centers
- Roller Hockey
- Running Tracks
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
- Wi-Fi Hot Spots
Know when to go:
View upcoming athletic area usage in
Pelham Bay Park