Flushing Ave. between N. Portland Ave. and N. Oxford St.
Directions via Google Maps
This Fort Greene playground, located on the south side of Flushing Avenue, was renamed Oxport Playground by Parks in 1996, combining the names of North Portland Avenue to the west, and North Oxford Street to the east. Both streets date back to the first half of the nineteenth century.
In the 1940s, Brooklyn’s large World War II labor force, of which 71,000 were employed in the nearby Brooklyn Navy Yard, prompted the construction of many new housing projects. As additional housing projects were built in the 1950s, the city kept pace with the needs of the increasing enrollment in Fort Greene schools by creating more recreational facilities such as this one. The city acquired this site by condemnation in 1956, and in 1960 it was opened as a jointly operated playground with J.H.S. 265.