Owen F. Dolen Park
Lane Ave., E. Tremont Ave., Westchester Ave.
Directions via Google Maps
In 1925, Owen F. Dolen (c.1864-1925) was asked to speak at a ceremony in this park, then known as Westchester Square. The occasion was the unveiling of a new monument to the neighborhood soldiers who died in World War I (1914-1918). Dolen was a well-respected educator and life-long member of the community, and had spearheaded the campaign to place the memorial at the square. He gave a rousing twenty-five minute speech, bowed to the crowd, sat down, and died of a heart attack just minutes later. On April 30, 1926, the Board of Aldermen (now the City Council) voted to name the park Owen F. Dolen Park in his memory.
The first part of the property, the corner by the war memorial, was acquired by the City in 1907. The rest of the property was acquired in 1909, and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) expanded a 1927 comfort station into a branch of the New York Public Library in the 1930s. The original building still bears the inscription “New York Public Library.”
In 1982, that building was expanded and converted to its present use as the Owen Dolen Golden Age Center, as well as the offices for Parks District 9 of the Bronx. The new addition, with its bold triangular façade over the entrance, was designed by John Ciardullo Associates. Today, the Center serves as a social center for the community, with special programs and trips for seniors. Programs for teens were added later, including a tutoring program. The center attracts local residents of all ages participating in activities from aerobics classes to after-school programs.
While the park is no longer named Westchester Square, the surrounding area still bears the name. Originally the site of a Dutch outpost in the 1600s, the area developed into a village called Oostdorp, meaning “East Village,” referring to the colony’s location to the east of Nieuw Amsterdam. When the English took over the area, they renamed the towns accordingly; Nieuw Amsterdam was renamed New York, after the Duke of York, and Oostdorp was renamed West Chester, in recognition of its location west of the New England colonies.
Later, Westchester Square emerged as a shopping hub, in part thanks to the extension of the Lexington Avenue-Pelham Bay subway (now the 6 train) to the area in late 1920s. The subway station is a striking piece of architecture, decorated with colorful tiles in a geometric pattern and stained-glass windows by famed artist Romare Bearden (1911–1988).
The park contains two pieces of sculpture, a 15-foot-high granite pylon at the corner of East Tremont Avenue and Lane Avenue that honors Westchester residents who served in World War I, and The Seat (1987) by David Saunders, which depicts a chair with an open book underneath. Until recently, the park had been split in the middle by Benson Street. The street was closed in 1993 and has been replaced by vegetation to expand and improve the park.
Westchester Square Memorial Details
- Sculptor: John Oakman
- Description: Stele
- Materials: Milford pink granite
- Dimensions: H: 16' W: 6'6" D: 6'6"
- Cast: 1925
- Dedicated: 1925
- Donor: People of Westchester
- Inscription: Front:
TO PERPETUATE / IN GRATEFUL REMEM- / BRANCE THE SACRIFICE / HEROISM AND DEVOTION / OF THE MEN AND WOMEN / OF THE OLD TOWN OF / WESTCHESTER / WHO IN THE WORLD WAR / ANSWERED THE CALL / OF THEIR COUNTRY THAT / JUSTICE AND RIGHTEOUS- / NESS SHOULD NOT PERISH /
THEY DIED / IN THE SERVICE OF / THEIR COUNTRY / *** / WILLIAM AGNEW / PAUL ARNONE / THOMAS E. BARRY / FRANK M. BEGEN / JOHN A. BICKHARDT / EDWARD BOSARA / DOMINICK BRESSI / VIVIAN BROWN / JOSEPH DALY / JOHN DELGAUDIO / CHARLES F. DIEDTERICH / HAROLD ERLANDSEN / BRIAN GALLAGHER / RAYMOND GILLIS / WILLIAM A GORTON / PHILIP G. HEWIRZ / HARRY HOPEMEISTER / CHARLES JABURECK / JOSEPH KALLAS / CHARLES H. KEEGAN / WILLIAM KELLY / THEODORE B. KORONY / WILLIAM LEMMON / CHARLES A. LINDBLOM /
CAMBRAI / SOMME DEFENSIVE / LYS / AISNE / MONTDIDIER-NOYON / CHAMPAGNE-MARNE / SOMME-OFFENSIVE / OISE-AISNE / YPRES-LYS / SAINT MIHIEL / MEUSE-ARGONNE / VITTORIO-VENETO /
THEY DIED / IN THE SERVICE OF / THEIR COUNTRY / *** / JOHN F. LOCKHART / GIUSTINO LOMBARDI / ARTHUR E. MCBRIDE / JAMES MCGURN / WILLIAM A. MCLAUGHLIN / ALOIS A. MESSENZEHL / EDWARD MORAN / JOHN NEWMAN / WILLIAM NOVY / HAROLD T. OSTERHAUS / WILLIAM S. REARDON / FREDERICK W. REYNOLDS / MICHAEL ROMITA / HENRY A. SCHEELER / FRANK SCHLAICH / GEORGE J. SCHNEIDER / EDWARD W. SCOTT / J. SLATOPOLSKY / WALTER L. SOFFEL / NICHOLAS VORTA / EDGAR YEURY JR. / SAMUEL H. YOUNG / WILLIAM G. ZELENKA / EUGENE L. ZENGEN /
Directions to Owen F. Dolen Park
Know Before You Go
Owen Dolen Recreation Center
The Recreation Center is currently closed for reconstruction. This project will reconstruct Owen Dolen Park to include a more defined plaza area and enhanced green spaces. Sidewalks, paths, fencing, stairs, and lighting will be improved. The spire at the upper Terrace will be removed to open site lines into the park. Members are directed to any of our other centers. Please pardon our appearance.
Anticipated Completion: Winter 2013
- Easing On Down The Road To Owen Dolen
- Owen Dolen Park Begins Significant Restoration
- Tomorrow's Leaders Bloom in Bronx Afterschool Council