Monsignor Crawford Field
Ave. U bet. E. 58 St., E. 59 St., and E. 60 St.
Directions via Google Maps
This field is named for Monsignor Thomas J. Crawford (1885-1966) who served as an assistant priest in six different parishes in Brooklyn and Long Island before becoming the founder-pastor of Mary Queen of Heaven, Brooklyn, in 1927. Monsignor Crawford worked tirelessly through the difficulties of the Great Depression (1929-1940), making Mary Queen of Heaven a thriving community institution.
Father Crawford was born in Brooklyn, New York, the oldest of ten children. During his childhood he attended Our Lady of Lourdes School, and St. John’s Preparatory. Upon graduating secondary school he spent two years at St. Francis Xavier College in Manhattan before entering St. John’s Seminary. He graduated as president of his class and was ordained on June 10, 1911.