Both a New York City and a National Historic Landmark, this 1832 rowhouse is among the finest surviving examples of late-Federal and Greek Revival architecture. It remains virtually unchanged from the time when it was the home of the affluent 19th century merchant family of Seabury (1780-1865) and Eliza (1797-1882) Tredwell and their eight children. The Merchant’s House, as it is now known, is the only family home in New York City to survive intact, inside and out, from the 1830’s.
The Tredwell family moved into this house in 1835. Over the years, as the City continued to grow, the Tredwells’s neighbors gradually abandoned the popular Bond Street area, building even more elegant homes uptown. For reasons unknown, the Tredwells remained where they were. The youngest Tredwell child, Gertrude (1840-1933), never married; when she died in the upstairs bedroom in 1933 at the age of 93, the family had occupied this house for almost 100 years.
In commemoration of President Lincoln’s assassination 150 years ago, the Bond Street Euterpean Singing Society...