This playground opened in 1954 as the Melrose Houses Playground. The neighborhood of Melrose was originally settled by the Morris family, who were granted nearly the entire southeastern portion of the Bronx by the British crown in the late 1600s. By the 1850s, the Morrises began selling their land to families, forming suburban communities surrounding Manhattan. Around that time Melrose was given its name by the Scottish surveyor Andrew Finlay, paying tribute to Sir Walter Scott’s literary work Melrose Abbey, a popular piece at the time.
Directions to Melrose Playground
Melrose Playground Weather